17 August 2013

Water is out again. This time because of a horse. I don’t know what its name is, or who owns it, or indeed even what gender it is, because horses freak me out a bit and I haven’t wanted to approach it. This reluctance to go near it led to me assuming the mindset that “it’s totally okay if the horse is on Cloudbridge property, because at least it’s eating that highly invasive king grass, and minding its own business….” Well, it was also shitting all over the pathway, tramping around off trail, and setting a precedent that farm animals are acceptable here. All of those would have been bad enough on their own, but tonight it has brought down my wrath upon it.

I got home after a long day of NOT doing work; we (my researchers & I) went down to help out with some tree planting on one of my volunteers’ property, and spent the rest of the afternoon eating, talking, and enjoying a few drinks, and I even voiced my happiness at one point at taking an afternoon off of work - HAH. I know now how wrong it was to suspect that I am allowed to do that.

Immediately upon arriving home, as soon as I had cozied up and gotten ready to crawl into bed, I was summoned to investigate the issue of the exploding water. A pipe had been broken (by a smelly hooved foot…) down by the volunteer housing, and was spewing water. I turned off all water up at the tank (in the dark, on slippery paths), and we spent about 40 minutes trying to figure out how to plug up the pipe so that it would withstand the pressure of turning pipes back on. No luck, it is a job for someone actually skilled in plumbing. So water is off until further notice, and tomorrow I am going to capture the horse, possibly brand it as Cloudbridge property (might not have the guts to do that bit), and then sell it back to its owner for an extortionate fee that will cover pipe repair, trail repair, and the amount of resentment I am currently experiencing.

Stupid horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment